Shelley Chic

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mid Century Too Modern???

Did you know there are people who "police" the Mid Century furniture? Well, it's true! Both my sister-in-law (The Turquoise Iris on Etsy) & I have received emails and actual phone calls telling us that we are RUINING the furniture!!! I politely informed my caller that I found and rescued the furniture from its near delapidated state. She told me that people would pay money for it if we weren't ruining it by painting it- LOL. I again informed her that MANY people desire our more modern take on the amazing finds and that they actually pay me good money for the makeovers that I do :P So my hubby being the smart (well, you know) that he is, posted my latest dresser on craigslist with a little side note stating: If you are the Mid Century Modern police move along. There is nothing to see here. If you are selling crazy, we are all stocked up!!!! LOL, gosh I LOVE that man! Let me know what you think of this one. I like that the yellow color pops against the dark gray, like a man's wool suit & yellow tie- mostly it can function as a dresser in an adult room, teen room, nursery, as a TV console, or even as a buffet.

7 comments:

  1. I love the grey and yellow - looks amazing!

    I've heard from said police too - I just delete! If they would like to visit all op shops / thrift stores and save these pieces from paint by all means do - until then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool color choices and love the zebra too ;)
    everyone has an opinion don't they?!! if only they'd keep it to themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I agree, why go out of your way to say something negative? I do have to search to find my pieces- they are welcome to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They've visited me too ( I paint 100 year old pieces even ) what they don't get is that a lot of these items are in too horrific condition to salvage with anything but paint!
    Love what you did - and am your newest follower- would love to have you come by for a visit and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! So this is weird. I saw your ad on CL and had never heard of those kind of "police", so I Googled it and found your blog! That really is too funny. I understand if its a nice piece of furniture, but why would they even care anyway? They're not the ones who found it and bought it, so why make all the hub-bub? People are so strange. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Suzan & Jackie. Glad you could laugh at this nonsense also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had my share of mean comments...i realized, they probably don't have an idea the hard work that is put into salvaging these pieces...this piece is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete